Thursday, April 22, 2021

WE HAVE A RAVEN NEST!


Yes we have a Raven nest!

On February 11th I noticed an excessive amount of Raven courtship activity. A pair sat in a cottonwood tree a hundred yards down the crick and yelled at each other. They were apparently discussing a former Raven nest in a tree; it was built but never used. I recognized the female of this pair; she has an unusually high voice for a female Raven. I remember hearing her last fall.

This pair also checked out a couple of other trees, including a big half-dead one right outside my friend's font door (and which I can see from my cabin). There used to be an occupied red-tailed hawk nest in this tree that was used several years ago, but Ravens dismantled it to build their own nest elsewhere.

On March 26th, this Raven pair was definitely building a nest in our big cottonwood tree!

We named them Edgar Raven and Aida Garifullina Raven (after the famous soprano opera singer).

More to come!




No comments:

Post a Comment